The Spirit of 76 House
Within a 5-10 minute walk from the Spiritof76 House lies the Higganum Reservoir, or, as the people of Higganum call it lovingly, THE RES.
The Higganum Reservoir gives us the pleasure of fishing, swimming and watching the local grey heron fly by.
Hours: Year-round, dawn to dusk, Free Access
Handicap Accessible: Fishing platform Founding Date: 2003
The original dam was constructed in 1868 by the 2 brothers George M. and Thomas J. Clark of the Higganum Manufacturing Company called the Clark Company. Their firm, later known as Clark Cutaway Harrow, was one of Higganum's most successful industries, produced an extensive line of farm equipment including 400 types of plows, disk harrows, cider presses, hay spreaders and carriage jacks. The factory, located at the site of the now empty Rossi lumberyard, was powered by water from the reservoir and Candlewood Hill and Bible Rock Brooks. The factory burned in the early 20th century but the dam and reservoir remained until its 2003 reconstruction as Higganum Reservoir State Park. The new dam is 20 feet high and has a walkway which allows you to gaze at the water rushing over an old stone spillway down into a beautiful clear brook.
Watershed Area: 6.6 Square Miles
Lake Area: 32 Acres
Higganum Reservoir State Park covers137 acres. Meandering trails through the woods surrounding the lake are ideal for short hikes and mountain biking.